Tips to keep your wheelbarrow in working order
- Keep wooden handles clean and wipe them down with a cloth after each use.
- Rub off splinters from the handles and smooth splintered sections using sandpaper.
- To protect the wooden handles, use linseed or olive oil to coat them and then let the handles dry in the sun.
- Clean the tray (barrow or tub) often, keeping it dirt-free and dry.
- Store the wheelbarrow inside a shed or garage to keep it out of the rain and to protect it from rusting.
Simple repairs for your wheelbarrow
Most wheelbarrows or lawn carts have a simple design. Repairs are typically easy. All you need are a few tools, washers, bolts and the replacement parts.
To repair a wheel:
- Remove the old tube. Either repair the tube with a kit or replace it with a new one.
- For tires that don't have an inner tube, you'll need to plug any leaks or replace the tire.
- To locate the leak, place the tire in water to look for the air bubbles.
- Next, plug the hole with a kit and seal it with rubber cement.
- Refill the tire with air.
- Replace the axle if necessary and replace any rusted or corroded bolts.
To replace a handle:
- Remove the old handles from the wheelbarrow.
- Check for bolts and washers that need replacing.
- Check to see if the brace needs replacing.
- Line up the new handles with the holes.
- If the new handles don’t have pre-drilled holes for the bolts, use a pencil to mark the bolt hole locations. Drill new holes into the handle. Make sure the holes are large enough for the bolts but not too large to keep the handles steady.
- Refit the handles with the saved bolts or new ones if needed.
- If a new brace was needed, replace it before bolting on the new handles.
Get the parts you need from Sears PartsDirect
Whether you're looking to repair a part or replace it, you can find what you need with Sears PartsDirect. With helpful customer service, a friendly return policy, and quality guarantees from us at Sears PartsDirect, you don’t have to worry about getting a defective part. If you're looking online for parts, all you'll need is the model number to find the right components for your wheelbarrow. Not sure what the model number is? You can easily search by category and brand to find what you need.