Washer troubleshooting tips
There are some fixes you can try on your own. Here are a few things to check.
- Hose connections—Check the hoses connecting the washer and the water source. Simply tightening or sealing a hose connection could immediately fix a leak.
- Load size—If you have a tendency to cram as much clothing as possible into each load, your washer tub could go off-balance. If the machine is off-balance, it will usually bang and/or vibrate violently.
- Faucets—If the machine is only running hot or cold water, it might be that the hot or cold faucet running to the washer was turned off.
- The lid—Ensure the lid is closing all the way during the cycles. If it's not, the washer won't perform properly.
- Power—Is the machine plugged in?
Five washer parts that could break
If none of these actions result in a solution, the issue could be the result of one of these parts breaking.
- Motor stator—The motor stator powers the motor that spins the basket. This could be the culprit if your spin cycle isn't happening.
- Power cable—Power issues are a common cause of malfunctioning washers. This could be the problem if the appliance won't turn on at all.
- Drain hose—If you have checked the connection and there is still a leak, there could be a tear or hole in the lining of the hose, meaning you need a replacement hose.
- Washer drain pump—After each load, the water is drained so the tub can dry. The drain pump creates a vacuum effect, sucking the water out of the tub and into the drain hose. If this pump is broken, the unit may not properly drain, leading to mold and mildew problems.
- Rotary control knob—Broken knobs can make it hard to change the settings for each load, meaning you may not be able to use the appliance with certain fabrics.
Sears PartsDirect has washing machine replacement parts
A variety of different problems can arise with a washing machine. Many of them you can fix yourself with no special tools, but sometimes, you might need to replace faulty or worn-out parts. At Sears PartsDirect, we have a comprehensive selection of replacement washer parts; just use the search function on the website to find what you need. You can rely on Sears PartsDirect as we care about our customers.