Why isn't your stand mixer working?
If you've noticed your stand mixer is acting up, chances are there is a defective part inside. Here are a few common issues that might be troubling your stand mixer.
- Doesn't spin—The beaters may not spin due to worn-out teeth on the worm gear. Inspect the gears inside the housing and replace any gears that are worn out or broken.
- Doesn't run at all—If your mixer isn't turning on at all, it could be due to broken motor brushes or a faulty control board.
- Sparking in the motor—This is likely caused by motor brushes that are starting to get worn down.
- Leaking oil—Lubricants inside the mixers may drip out if the mixer sits on the shelf for a while. This can be avoided by using the mixer for a few minutes each month.
- Only runs at one speed—If your mixer only operates at one speed, it is most likely a problem with the phase control board and that part will need to be replaced.
Common parts in stand mixers
- Worm gear—The worm gear is driven by the vertical shaft and spins the beaters inside the bowl. If it's worn-out or broken, it will need to be replaced.
- Control board—Mixers have a small electronic control board to govern the internal mechanisms. If the mixer doesn't run, the control board might need to be repaired or replaced.
- Planetary gear—The planetary gear rotates the spinning beater in an orbit around the inside of the mixing bowl. If the beater doesn’t orbit the inside of the bowl, inspect the planetary gear and replace if necessary.
- Motor brushes—Similar to brushes on some power tools, the motor brushes conduct an electrical current between a rotating shaft and stationary wires. As they wear down, they will no longer make good contact and need to be replaced.
- Speed control plate—This control plate adjusts the speed of the beaters depending on the position of the speed lever.
Ordering replacement parts for your stand mixer
Customer service is a priority for us at Sears PartsDirect. Each part is guaranteed to fit and backed by a generous return policy. Our customer service team is always available over the phone or via online chat if you have any questions while shopping for replacement parts.