Learn how your grass line trimmer operates
A grass line trimmer, also referred to as a string trimmer or line trimmer, works by using centrifugal force to maintain a straight-line spinning in a circle fast enough to cut whatever it comes in contact with. If your trimmer is running rough, be sure to check that all parts are tightly secured and running properly. If you are unsure about which parts may need replacing, see the list below.
Check these parts and do the following for your line trimmer
- Fuel filter—Replacing the fuel filter, and possibly the fuel, will be necessary if your line trimmer was left filled with gas for a long period of time. The fuel collects moisture, which makes it less likely to ignite when the machine is turned on.
- Fuel lines—Another integral part of the fuel system is the fuel lines. This tubing is what your fuel runs through to reach the carburetor. Replace the fuel lines if they are permanently kinked or if they have a noticeable leak.
- Carburetor—The carburetor can be replaced or rebuilt. This part mixes gas with air to create a combustible fuel that enters the cylinder. If something is wrong with your carburetor, your line trimmer will likely sputter or spit when turned on.
- Carburetor rebuild kit—You can purchase a rebuild kit for your line trimmer carburetor. Sometimes, simply replacing the carburetor is more cost-effective. Other times, you can purchase a kit that replaces key parts and gaskets in the carburetor so it works properly.
- Preventative maintenance—Cleaning your equipment is the most basic and often the most important way to keep it from deteriorating over time. Other ways of keeping your line trimmer in good condition include never storing it for long periods of time with fuel in the tank, storing it inside only and consistently lubricating all moving parts.
Find the line trimmer replacement parts that you need at Sears PartsDirect
Find parts that you need by entering the model number for your line trimmer or the specific part number in the search bar above. You can also browse our site by category or brand if you don’t have either number handy. Your parts will fit with ease when you buy them through Sears PartsDirect because we offer a guarantee that our products will be a match for your line trimmer. Customer service comes first, so we’re happy to answer any questions you may have over the phone or via our online chat. We also back all purchases with our return policy.