Common dishwasher parts and specific issues
A common problem that many people run into is that the dishes do not get completely clean even though the dishwasher completes its main cycle. A dishwasher consists of a heating element that heats water sprayed from the water jets. The heated water cycles on the spinning arm that sprays water onto the dishes. When the main cycle of your dishwasher starts, the detergent tray will click open, and the soap will then drain into the pump. The water pump then sprays soapy water on your dishes to get them clean. After the main cycle, all of the water will drain, and the dishwasher sprays clean water to rinse the soap off the dishes.
There are six main dishwasher parts that can break
- Detergent dispenser assembly—The detergent dispenser assembly is the container that holds the detergent. If your dishwasher runs a normal cycle, but is not releasing the detergent, then you might need to replace this part.
- Drain pump—The water drain pump pulls water out of the system at the bottom of the dishwasher and releases it as wastewater. If you notice water building up or pooling in the bottom of your dishwasher, then the drain pump might be clogged or not functioning properly.
- Electronic control board—The electronic control board sits on the top of the door. It's where you push the buttons to make the dishwasher run different cycles. If the dishwasher is running too long, short or not at all, then this control board may be broken.
- Door latch assembly—The door latch is the swinging arm that seals a dishwasher closed by locking the door. Most dishwashers will not turn on if the door latch assembly is broken.
- Dishwasher spray arm—The dishwasher spray arm is the revolving arm that sprays heated water onto the dishes. If your dishes are not getting clean, then something may be blocking the sprayer arm from rotating.
- Heating element—The heating element is the metal band at the bottom of the dishwasher. The water that is cycling in the dishwasher hits this metal band and creates steam. If the water in your dishwasher is not getting hot, then you might need to replace the heating element.
Find the dishwasher parts you need from Sears PartsDirect
Search for your specific model of dishwasher and find the part you need with the search bar. If you are not quite sure exactly what part you need for your dishwasher, determine the brand of your dishwasher and search for the part by category. At Sears PartsDirect, we guarantee that your parts will fit properly.