Routine boat maintenance you should perform regularly
- Wash your boat—Cleaning your boat is a simple task that must be done thoroughly prior to the storage of your vessel at the end of the season. Saltwater is especially troublesome as it will corrode metal fasteners and other hardware. Use a soft bristle brush and car wash soap or laundry detergent if you don’t want to spring for maritime boat wash.
- Inspect your propeller—If your boat has an inboard or outboard engine, the propeller is a critical piece of equipment to visually inspect before every outing. Remove and clean it at least twice a year. Chips in the paint of your propeller are fine, but large dents or other damage reduces power output and needlessly burns fuel. Grease the propeller shaft with waterproof boat grease before you reinstall the propeller to prevent corrosion.
- Change the oil—The oil and oil filter on your boat motor should be changed approximately every 100 running hours. It’s normal to change your boat’s oil two or three times per year or more depending on how often you use it. Most boat motors don't have air filters so you don’t need to worry about locating and changing it.
- Inventory safety equipment—The size of your boat will dictate the type and quantity of safety equipment you should carry on board, so be sure to reference the manufacturer's recommendations. Common items to consider having on your boat include fire extinguishers, backup motors or paddles, extra oil and fuel, rope, personal flotation devices, a First-Aid kit, flares, an emergency radio and a GPS.
- Inspect the battery—Even the smallest outboard motors require a battery. Clean corrosion from terminals regularly with baking soda and water. If you don’t have and don’t want to spend money on a load tester, most auto parts stores will perform a load test for free and will tell you if your battery should be replaced.
Find the boat parts you need at Sears PartsDirect
Simply enter the model number of your boat in the search bar at the top of the page to locate specific parts for your boat. Alternatively, you can browse by category or brand to find what you need. Find the part you need quickly and get back out on the water. We at Sears PartsDirect offer excellent customer service and a generous return policy on a wide variety of high-quality boat parts.