Simple ways to check your sink plumbing
- Use a plunger: If your sink is clogged, attempt to plunge it. Sometimes, the problem is simple enough that this will clear the pipe and solve the problem.
- Tighten the connection: Check and seal each pipe's connection. This may be the source of the water leaking under your sink. This can be as easy as taking a wrench and giving it a twist.
- Tighten the valves: Valves can wear out over time, causing them to not close all the way. Remove the valve cap, clean it and put it back on. This should help it tighten completely. You could also use a wrench to make sure the valve cap twists all the way.
These simple DIY tricks can solve a lot of the problems you are having with your sink. If they don't, you may need a replacement part.
Four sink replacement parts you might require
- P-trap: The P-trap connects the sink to the sewage system below. Its curved design helps prevent gases from the sewer system from entering the home. Because of its shape, the trap is prone to clogging. Replace the P-trap if it’s cracked and leaking. Always be sure to turn off the water when working on plumbing in any capacity.
- Sink drain trap: If your drain's trap isn't closing properly or is broken, it needs to be replaced.
- Faucet: Faucets can rust or get cracks and leaks where they connect to the sink. A pair of pliers and a wrench are necessary to replace a faucet. Turn off the water supply and disconnect both the hot and cold water lines running to the sink before removing your old faucet.
- Water supply valve: Located under the sink, these valves are a common area for leaks. If they have a leak or won't seal, you won't be able to completely shut off the water.
Sears PartsDirect has the replacement parts for your sink
Many sink parts are covered by a warranty, so you probably won't have to fix yours if your home is new. Surprise issues can happen, though. There are a lot of easy fixes that can be done on a sink, but sometimes, you are going to need replacement parts. At Sears PartsDirect, we strive to get our customers the right replacement parts at great prices.