Common problems that air handlers experience
- Poor airflow—Check to make sure the air ducts aren't obstructed at all and that the air filter has been cleaned or replaced recently.
- Air handler isn't running—If the air handler is receiving power, check for any status lights on the control board. If the control board is dead, then the air handler may not be able to function at all.
- Air isn't cold—Check to make sure the evaporator coils are clean so that they can work efficiently. If they are clean, verify that the outdoor condenser unit is working.
- Fan isn't spinning—If the fan isn't spinning, check for anything that may have clogged it. The fan will likely need to be replaced if it doesn't work.
- Air handler runs often—If the air handler seems to run continuously, check the thermostat to make sure the temperature isn't set too low. Excessive use may cause the evaporator coils to freeze up, which can potentially damage them.
Five parts in air handlers that may break
- Blower fan—The blower fan turns on to push the cold air through the ductwork.
- Evaporator coils—Evaporator coils are part of the heat exchange system. These coils remove heat from the air. If the coils are dirty or damaged, they'll need to be cleaned or replaced to work properly.
- Damper—A damper opens and closes to control which sections of ductwork the air will flow through, depending on which zones are calling for air.
- Air filter—The air filter removes fine particulates from the air to protect the internal components of the air handler. If the filter is too dirty, then it may restrict air flow and will need to be cleaned or replaced.
- Refrigerant tubing—The refrigerant tubing coming from the outside unit contains the refrigerant. The refrigerant passes through the evaporator coils to provide cold air.
Ordering replacement parts for air handlers
Sears PartsDirect stocks replacement parts for major brands of air handlers. You can order replacement parts by entering the model number of your air handler into the search bar or browsing by brand to find the parts you need. Each part is guaranteed to fit.
Customer service is a priority for Sears PartsDirect, and each purchase is backed by our generous return policy. If you have any questions while you're shopping for parts, we have staff members available via phone or online chat.