Getting to the bottom of your malfunction
Certain malfunctions are more common than others. For example:
- If your Broan heater has ceased operation, it may need a new motor.
- If your heater isn't reaching the desired temperature, you may need a new thermostat or heating element.
- If your Broan bathroom fan isn't working, try turning the fan blade by hand to check for damage. If that's not the problem, it may be the motor.
- If the exhaust fan motor is humming in your Broan range hood, inspect it carefully. The motor shaft bearings may need replacement.
- If your Broan range hood isn't venting properly, check the charcoal filter. If it's excessively dirty, it will usually need to be replaced.
Common problems with Broan trash compactors
- Won't stop running—The start switch may be stuck in the start position. Replace the start switch if it sticks in the start position.
- Door doesn't open easily—Check to make sure that the drawer slides along the rails without any obstructions.
- Unit runs continuously with the ram in upper position—The upper-limit switch is likely faulty and may need to be replaced.
- Unit runs continuously with the ram in the lower position—This can be caused by issues with the drive gear or the drive chain if it is broken.
- Ram doesn't move while the motor is running—The power screw or power nut that move the ram may be broken or loose. Inspect them after disconnecting power and replace them if necessary.
These five trash compactor parts can break when you least expect it:
- Start switch—The start switch activates the trash compactor. If the unit won't start or it runs continuously, consider replacing the start switch.
- Upper-limit switch—The upper-limit switch prevents the compacting ram from rising above its upper travel limit. It should be replaced if the compactor continues to run even after the ram is at its highest position.
- Drive gear—The drive gear is connected to the motor and powers the upward and downward movement of the compacting ram. If it is broken or comes loose, it should be replaced.
- Door interlock switch—The door interlock switch is a safety feature that stops the compacter if the drawer tilts open during compacting. If the compactor regularly stops during operation, the door interlock switch may be the culprit and may need to be replaced.
- Power screw and power nut—The power screw rotates inside the power nut and drives the ram up and down. The screw and nut may need to be replaced if they're faulty or broken.
Ordering replacement parts for your Broan appliances
Ordering replacement parts for your Broan appliances is easy with Sears PartsDirect. You can enter your model number into the search bar to find the right parts or browse through available components to find the one you're looking for.
At Sears PartsDirect, we’re available by phone or online chat if you have questions or concerns during your shopping experience. Each part you purchase is a genuine replacement part from the original manufacturer and is guaranteed to fit. Customer service is always a priority for us, and each sale is backed by a generous return policy.