Model #11060982990 Kenmore residential dryer

  • Top And Console
    3 Results
  • Cabinet
    3 Results
  • Bulkhead
    3 Results

Error Codes

Error Code:

Condition:

Check/Repair:

Question and Answers

Q:

Why did the fuse blow in my dryer 20 minutes after replacing it?

A:

The part numbers that you provided are for the high limit thermostat and the thermal cut-off fuse. The high limit thermostat will normally reset when it cools back down. The thermal cut-off fuse is not. If the thermal cut-off fuse blew just 20 minutes after replacing it, then you could have a restricted venting problem or a heating element that is shorted to the cabinet ground and heating constantly that would cause this type of problem. It is not likely a problem with the fuse. I recommend replacing the thermal cut-off fuse again if it is blown. After replacing the fuse, I recommend taking these steps:

  • Remove the lint screen. Clean any lint off of it and wash it thoroughly with water. Dry it thoroughly. If you use dryer softener sheets, residue from these sheets can build up on the screen and inhibit exhaust air flow. You may need to continue to wash the lint screen periodically if you use these softener sheets.
  • Disconnect the flexible exhaust vent in the back of the dryer.
  • Replace the lint screen and load the dryer with a medium sized load of wet laundry.
  • Set the dryer for a timed cycle with high heat.
  • Start the dryer with it venting directly into the laundry room.
  • Check the air temperature coming out of the exhaust vent behind the dryer. It should heat up to about 150 degrees and then cycle between 130 to 150 degrees. If the dryer cycles normally and dries the clothes properly while venting directly into the laundry room then restricted venting is causing your heating problem and blowing the fuse. If it continues to heat past 160 degrees, shut the dryer off. Unplug the dryer and check the element for visible damage. Pull one wire off of the element. Measure the resistance with a volt/ohm meter. It should measure between 7 and 13 ohms. If not, it will need to be replaced. If the heater element is okay, you could have a failed thermistor. This component is located on the blower housing. It should read about 10 to 12K ohms (10,000 to 12,000 ohms) of resistance at room temperature. If it is way out of this range at room temperature, it will need to be replaced. If the thermistor is okay, you could have a stuck heater relay in the console.
These tips may help you determine the cause of your heating failure. If you need more help, resubmit your question with additional details.

Read More
Lyle W -
Sears Technician
February 13, 2009