Have a repair or installation question?
microhood inoperable 721.62622200
I have a microhood model 721.62622200 that is 9 years old. Yesterday the unit was essentially dead...no display, no lights, no cooking. Today I noticed that the two little dots (semi-colon) on the time display were lit up, so I checked and was able to set the time, the cooktop light was working, exhaust fan is working and light inside the oven is working. I have not tried to use the microwave yet to hear anything. Do you have any ideas as to what could have caused this? I checked the outlet first thing and it was working so I know the unit was getting electricity. I don't want to use it and make it worse or unsafe by using it. Is there some type of fuse that could have reset itself? About 10 months ago, I had a problem with it not running and it would just cut off. I cleaned it thoroughly and replaced the charcoal filter inside and it has been OK since then. Is is possible that the charcoal filter needs to be replaced again?
Posted September 17, 2012
Anna T, September 17, 2012
I understand you are experiencing difficulties with your Microwave. Microwaves contain high voltage internal components that can retain a lethal electrical charge even when the microwave is completely unplugged. Door repairs and adjustments, even minor ones, can cause microwave leakage and a microwave shielding leakage test must be performed using a survey meter after any microwave service. This repair should be done only by a qualified service technician. I have provided a link To Sears Home Services if you decide to schedule service. It may be cost effective to just replace the unit, I have also provided a link to the Microwave section of Sears.com to price out what a replacement would cost.
Fred M, September 18, 2012
From the description you give I suspect the problem is the high voltage transformer or magnetron. As I understand the problem there is power but the unit will not run. Can you select the various cycles and times? The thing is microwaves do not make good do-it-yourself projects. Even unplugged they retain a lethal amount of voltage. Microwaves contain high-voltage components that can retain a lethal electrical charge of up to 2200 VAC -- even when the microwave is unplugged. Repairs and adjustments, even minor ones such as